Saturday, July 23, 2016

Castle Island Adventure

Hi guys, I hope you are having a great summer!

      I finally made it to the beach! My mom recently mentioned that she had wanted to visit Castle Island which is located in South Boston. None of us had ever been there before so we were excited to go. There is a fort, Fort Independence, a restaurant known for its sea food of course, a couple beaches, a playground and walking trails. 
     We took the T and a bus and arrived at one of the beaches. My mom and I went in the water a little as we walked along from one end of the island to get to the restaurant located on the other end. As we were walking we saw some shells, sea glass, and horse shoe prints. The latter was definitely a surprise. I guess that the rangers patrol on horses, a not so nice surprise was that we passed some other evidence left by the horses which we made sure to avoid getting too close to.  

Pic of my mom and sister featuring a plane
       On the walk over to the restaurant we saw a lot of low flying planes and assumed we were close to the airport. We also saw some large machines that my sister was very intrigued by and wanted to know what they were. As we got closer and closer to the restaurant we also got closer and closer to the machines and were able to determine that they were for taking large cargo containers off of ships and putting them on the land. We finally made it to Sullivan's to have lunch. It is similar to Kelly's if you are familiar with the MA area. We got fish and chips and it was really good. My mom, sister, and I split two meals between the three of us, it was very filling.       
The little building in the back there is Sullivan's
     Since we were so full and wanted to walk it off we made our way past another beach, the playground, saw some statues and made it to the fort. Only to the find out that visitors can only enter on Saturdays and Sundays and it was a Friday (probably one of the only times I will be annoyed that it was a Friday lol). We couldn't complain too much though because we still had a beautiful view of Boston and the harbor, were surround by the ocean, and had great weather. Oh and don't forget, we figured out what those machines were for! So it was still a successful journey.


The boardwalk


Hope you enjoyed reading!
-Emily  

p.s. I think I took a picture of those random machines that my sister was fascinated by, I'll try to find one and update the post when I do!



Other Places You Can Find Me:


No comments:

Post a Comment