Monday, June 5, 2017

How to Achieve Your Goals


We all know that reaching our goals can sometimes be very challenging but we can definitely accomplish them with some dedication and effort! The reasoning behind having goals, at least to me, is that they give you something to work towards in order to improve yourself or an aspect of your life and I feel that goals are very important. As I too struggle with always staying on track win regards to  my goals I decided to share some tips for sticking to and achieving your goals and resolutions!


This post actually kind of coincides with my previous post about having a productive summer (which you can check out here if you'd like to). I guess that at the beginning of a new season,  (similar to the beginning of a new year in January) I, like many other people focus more on changing habits and becoming a bettering version of myself -or at least trying to lol! Goals are a great way to do that and to be productive.  Sometimes we start out very strong in regards to accomplishing our goals but then lose motivation. Other times something else gets in the way and interferes or our focus shifts from the goals, making it very hard to reach them. As mentioned, I have complied a list of some things that you can do in order to make it easier to keep on track of and reach your goals!

Write them down

In my opinion this is one of the most helpful things someone can do in order to stay on top of one's goals. If  you write them down it feels more "official" and if you've documented them it will be harder to forget what you intended to work towards. It feels as though you are more dedicated to them and I like the fact that you can check them off, the same way you can "cross things off you to-do list". Having them written down will also allow you to look back after a while and assess yourself and see what you've done and  achieved. 

Set sub goals
 
Sometimes a goal that you have and really want to achieve may seem intimidating at first or you may be unsure of how to go about starting to accomplish it. Instead of just jumping in and to avoid "biting off more than you can chew" you can break the goal down into smaller ones to make the overall goal more manageable.

      For example if one of the goals you have is to be healthier or more fit it would make sense to        come up with different "sub-goals" that you can accomplish in order to become healthier such as having a goal to drink 1500 ml of water a day or to do a certain number of steps a day. Once you reach those you can increase the amounts gradually (up to the number you want) and you'll start being in better shape. As I mentioned, this will make the task of getting fitter less daunting and more manageable.

It will be easier to go about achieving large or long term goals this way and you will feel good about the progress you are making as you accomplish the "sub-goals" leading to the desired end result. 

Share your goals
 
What I mean by this is to let others know what your goals are. By "share" I don't mean to say that someone else needs to have the same goal or goals as you, although that can be helpful since it would allow you to work on them together. Regardless of whether or not any of your friends or family have the same goals as you, or you have only just told them what yours are, having them know will help you stay more accountable. It may also motivate you to keep going and stay on track and they may also help remind you to work on your goals. It's very beneficial to have support whenever you are working towards accomplishing something!

Make a "schedule"

By making a schedule I am talking about having at least a basic time frame of when you want to have certain goals or aspects of goals completed by. If you choose a certain day to have a certain amount of something done by you will be able to check in on the progress you've been making. "Deadlines" can be helpful since it makes you feel as though you have more of a responsibility to do something even if it is just self induced. The "pressure" to finish in time can cause you to put in more effort and achieve your goals faster.


Have an inspiration board

This is a great way to have a visual display of your goals and what you are working towards! You can make a collage or put a poster in your room that has pictures and/or words relating to your goals and include things that inspire you (it's like a real-life Pinterest board 😄). Making an inspiration board can be a very fun project since you can design it any way you like and it can be a good way for you to get more excited about working on and achieving your goals! It's a great form of a reminder to have on your wall and can potentially provide motivation when you look at it (and it can also serve as cute room décor)!

Reward yourself

I think that it's important to recognize what you've done and be proud of milestones along the way to the finish line. So, rewarding yourself after you've met "deadlines" you've set for yourself and when you've made a lot of good progress is a good practice. Allowing yourself to buy, eat, or purchase something (or whatever you choose your reward to be) can be an extra incentive for working toward your goals. Although, completing the goal is the greatest reward in itself since you'll feel so good about accomplishing it! Rewarding yourself after passing milestones on your way to achieving your goals can be helpful but remember to keep your eye on the end prize of completing the goal in it's entirety, don't just think about these small rewards.

Don't compare

It can be hard not to compare yourself to someone else who has achieved some of the things you are trying to accomplish, especially in today's day and age where everyone shares everything on social media, it's easy to become envious of others since people's lives may constantly be put in front of your face. But try to keep in mind that everyone is on their own journey and may have had a different starting point. You don't want to get discouraged because you see someone who has done more than you. Feeling bad about the progress you've made because someone else is closer to the end result than you are can decrease your motivation. If you start feeling like it's no longer worth it to work toward your goal because you feel like you'll never get there you may end up convincing yourself to stop and that is definitely not what we want to happen!

Try not to compare yourself to others, it may sound funny but only compare yourself to yourself. Try to be a better person than you were the day before, self reflection is important. Goals are all about self improvement for your life and the lives of those around you. Focusing on yourself (not in a negative/selfish way) is so important for growth and doing what you need to in order to be happy. And keep in mind what you'll gain from completing your goals: you will increase your confidence, be proud of yourself for accomplishing what you set your mind to, you may end up having more energy, gain knowledge, and skills! (It does depend on what your goals are though but I'm sure your results will at least include some of the things I just mentioned!)

Some of my goals:

I thought that I'd just include some of my goals in this post as well. My goals vary from short term to long term and some are much more meaningful than others, there are a couple trivial ones- but hey, everyone's entitled to be a little frivolous lol
  • My Blog: One of the goals I have for this summer is to work more on my blog and post more often! Let's see how well I do!

  • Fitness & Health: I am hoping to get in better shape and build some muscle (I'm so weak 🙈) and I also want to just become more healthy in general, such as by eating better and getting in to a routine for working out

  • Reading: When I was younger I absolutely loved reading and I would read every night. Once I got into high school and definitely in college, I had so little time that I never really read any novels for fun (as in reading for myself and not because I had to for homework). I've missed it and I hope to do a lot of reading this summer!

  • Family: Although I am living at home now since my semester ended I still feel as though I don't interact with my family as much as I should or talk enough about meaningful things with them. And it's so easy to just get caught up in watching tv separately in different rooms but, as cheesy as this may sound, I hope that my family and I start having occasional game nights again soon or something. 

  • Self: I hope to work on gaining more self confidence and not doubt myself or my abilities as much as I do. I hope that I do more of what I plan rather than just thinking about doing it. And just reminding myself to not just get caught up in what's popular.

  • Travel: I love traveling internationally and really want to go to Ireland, Spain, Switzerland, Japan, but these are on my bucket list for the future. This summer I highly doubt that I will be traveling internationally but I'm still keeping a flicker of hope alive in regards to visiting Montreal this summer though! Nonetheless I hope to visit some neighboring states and see different towns in Massachusetts that I haven't been to before or haven't visited in a while such as Gloucester and Newburyport. I also really want to make it down to the Cape at some point, I used to go every summer but haven't been in a few years! 

Reminiscing about Europe, this is a picture I took while visiting Venice this past fall!


  • Pet: This is another lofty goal, I really want a dog but I know it wouldn't make sense to get one now or in the near future. But it's still on my list and someday it'll happen!



  • Camera: One of my goals is to learn how to use a DSLR camera to take nice photos, but I do need to get one of them first! lol



  • Bag: This may seem materialistic but I hope to own a Chanel bag one day. It is one of my favorite brands and I love the person Coco was and a lot of what she stood for. I've read about her and I admire what she was able to do and how she built a life for herself. I definitely recommend checking out "Mademoiselle Chanel: A Novel" by C. W. Gortner, it is not a biography, meaning that the author has taken some liberties to shape his story but it is fairly accurate and a great read!



  • Art: I am someone who enjoys doing crafts and making things, but as with reading, due to school I hardly have the time. Now that it's summer I hope that I'll be able to start drawing more or painting, just something crafty or doing a couple DIYS. (You may have inferred that because I like drawing and painting that I am good at doing them but sadly no, I don't think that I'm that great at either of them but I still think it's fun and hope to improve!)


  • Again, these are only some of my goals, I do want to accomplish more in life than what's listed here, these are just a few I thought I'd share.

    Thank you so much for reading, I hope that you found this to be at least a little bit helpful! Please feel free to comment down below what some of your goals are, I'd love to hear them!


    Other Places You Can Find Me:

    No comments:

    Post a Comment