Sunday, April 29, 2018

Words on Worrying, Overthinking & Accepting Yourself

Hi! So this post is a bit of a ramble but I thought that it was worth sharing anyways. I am someone who worries very, very often, and oftentimes I worry about such insignificant things that don't even matter and I shouldn't waste my time and energy thinking about but sometimes I can't stop myself from worrying about those things although I know that I should.
Rambles on Worrying and Overthinking

I want to worry less in general and want to try to stop overthinking things so much as this is something that I really struggle with. I also hope to dwell less on the past and I want to think less about embarrassments or mistakes that I have made, especially ones that only I am thinking about and that no else cares about (because they actually don't matter, who cares if I was awkward in that moment? Only me). The person I was talking to (or whatever the situation was) probably didn't even notice it but even if they did, they're definitely not thinking about it.It's like they always say, everyone is so busy thinking about their own flaws and insecurities that they probably aren't aware of the ones that you think you have yourself.

I want to worry and overthink less as well as not get so discouraged when I feel like I am not accomplishing everything I want to. When I overthink that actually causes me to waste time and stop myself from doing things I want to do because I am just going over all the random possibilities and outcomes that could potentially come from whatever it is that I am wanting to do. Although there is a very little chance of any of those outcomes occurring so I should definitely not even be entertaining the thought of them but of course I am, because currently that part of who I am and my mentality. But as I said I want to work on being content enough with what I am doing as well as work on not unintentionally stopping myself from doing other things I want to do.

Tip & Suggestions

Here are a couple tips/suggestions that we could all use, especially if you feel the same way that I do.

→ Try to love yourself, accept yourself for who you are, embrace your "flaws" (you may be the only person who thinks they're flaws, so are they?) but they make you who you are and make you unique.

→ Try to avoid doubting yourself and your abilities by focusing on what you're good at and work to improve on where you're lacking if you want to.

→ And don't compare yourself to others as comparison is the thief of joy. Everyone is at different stages and has a different path and journey so comparing yourself to someone else will never go well. Also think about why would you want to compare yourself anyways? Live your life and don't worry what someone else is doing. It's totally fine to look at someone else's life and be inspired by it but don't feel bad about yours if its completely different than theirs. It is very hard to avoid doing this, especially in today's day and age with social media and everything everywhere but it helps to remember that most people are only sharing a highlight reel of their life and no one's life is perfect 24/7. (But is also does help to be grateful for your imperfect life, as everyone's is imperfect).

→ Know that some days you won't be successful in accepting yourself or accomplishing stuff in general, but that's okay. It is normal and not everyday can be perfect or great but there can still be good things or good moments that happen on those "bad" days, so look out for those as those can easily improve your mood. Also if your day isn't going so well then do something that will make you happier such as talking to a friend, a parent, a sibling, etc. listen to your favorite kind of music, watch your favorite movie or tv show or watch your favorite Youtube channel, read, do some exercise, etc. do something you love!

→ Also, don't say yes to everything or bite off more than you can chew.  It will put way more pressure and stress on you than you need. It will cause you to worrying even more and feel overwhelmed. Overthinking is a doubled edged sword here though because if you say yes (to more obligations) you will have even more to think and worry about, but saying no may cause you to think about how the person who asked you to do whatever it is will think about you and if they will dislike you for saying no. But even if they are a little inconvenienced by you saying no, that alone will not cause them to dislike you or thinking poorly of you.

→ This is a general tip but - don't plan and overthink or think ahead so much that you forget and/or don't have time to do what you planned for. I feel like I have so many things that I want to do and plan to do, but then I spend so much time planning how I'm going to do those things that the opportunity to actually do them passes.

→ Also try to take some risks, no pain means no gain. I do not mean for you to do something dangerous or harmful or actually painful but don't overthink something so much that end up convincing yourself  not to do it. Sometimes you just have to go for it.

I know this post may seem like it's all over the place but I think it helped me at least to put my thoughts down on this "topic" (I guess it's a topic lol, worrying, over thinking and accepting yourself and your flaws). I hope this post makes at least some sense, and that you were able to gain something from it if you're in a similar situation. I know I need to work on continuing to follow the "advice/tips" I listed too!

Thank you for reading!

Other Places You Can Find Me:

No comments:

Post a Comment