Monday, April 16, 2018

How To Get Rid Of A Cold ASAP

Hi everybody I hope that you're enjoying spring! For me it still feels a bit more like winter though lol, we had a few nice days that were in the 50s and 60s but then it was 30 degrees the other day and it snowed a little. I recently had a cold and wanted to share how to get rid of a cold quickly and tips for getting through a cold. These are just suggesting of how to get over a cold asap and they may not all work for everyone but I hope that at least some of them are ones you haven't heard of before and I hope they help you recover quickly!


Being sick, even just with a cold is not good at all, especially for young adults with so much going on. It can make you miserable, you may have to miss out on things, it makes you less productive, etc. the list goes on. No one likes being sick, it's a nuisance and  just generally very inconvenient. As someone who gets my fair share of colds, especially last semester when working too much and not taking care of my self like I should have I was very susceptible to germs. Due to this I have come up with some tips for getting rid of a cold quickly and compiled them here. Some are common and I found them online when I was searching for how to get rid of a cold and some are not so common and I wanted to feature them here.

Consume Liquids



The first tip for getting rid of a cold would be to drink water. I know this is a very common tip but I couldn't write this post and not include it here. This will help keep you hydrated and help thin out what is unfortunately in your nose and throat. I always get a very dry throat while I have a cold and it is very uncomfortable. Drinking warm water is preferable and putting some lemon and/or honey in it as well will help soothe your throat. Hot water is also good because it causes steam which can help unblock your sinuses. Drinking tea is also another option. I always put honey in my tea anyways, but if you don't I recommend trying it, especially when you have a cold as research shows that honey can calm a sore throat (Mayo Clinic). Eating a spoonful of honey is also recommended. And finally, having soup is another great way to consume warm liquid and aid in getting rid of your cold.

Rest Up

     

Try to get as much rest as you can by going to bed early. This is such a struggle for me as a college student and I'm sure some of you share in the struggle too but it's even more important to attempt to go to bed early while you're sick (fyi it's currently 11:30pm while I type this, I'm doing a great job following my own advice! *sarcasm*).  But jokes aside, getting enough rest is very crucial. Even during the day, don't over exert yourself and try to do too much; it will just prolong your sickness as your are not allowing your body to recover. Another tip regarding rest is to sleep with your head elevated. Sleep with two pillows under your head. It feels a bit weird at first but is very beneficial. You will not get as congested and will have and easier time breathing, especially when you first wake up the next morning.

Eat Well


This is a general tip for health and well being but your diet is also a factor in how long it will take you to get over your cold. You need to provide your body with energy and good nutrients. Having fresh and unprocessed foods would be ideal, especially foods that contain vitamin C such as oranges or clementines. Fruits and vegetables are so good for you and will help you get better quicker.

Try to Enjoy Yourself



I know this may seem like an odd tip but part of getting over a cold is mental. I try to keep myself positive even if I feel crappy. I find that if I just put myself in a negative mood and feel bad for myself it just ends up making me feel even worse. While you are resting and relaxing: watch your favorite movies, tv shows, or YouTubers, read, listen to good music, etc. Try to not let the cold get the best of you!

Miscellaneous Tips


As the title of this section suggests, these tips did not really fit into one of the other categories but I still wanted to include them, hence the miscellaneous section. One tip is to wear lots of layers of clothing in order to stay warm. Have cough drops to soothe your throat and help clear your airways. Also try not to breath through your mouth if you just breath through your nose. This will help prevent your throat from getting drier and more uncomfortable. Also when using a tissue do not blow too hard to try to clear your nose because that can actually just make your sinuses more congested and put more pressure on them. Also, I usually wash my face and brush my teeth more times during the day when I'm sick which helps me feel better (even if it just helps me trick myself into thinking I feel better it helps a bit nonetheless). And finally, wash your hands often.


I hope at least some of these help you if you have a cold! Do you have any other tips I didn't list here?

Thanks for reading!

Other Places You Can Find Me:

No comments:

Post a Comment