Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Summer Fashion Essentials

Summer 2017 trends: I have actually really been liking a lot of the trends I've been seeing this summer! I usually keep up on trends but that does not mean that I always like them or follow them. But the trends of summer 2017 were right up my alley and I wanted to talk about them!



It feels like the summer has just flown by, I can't believe that I'll be back at school in such a short amount of time! As I mentioned, I usually keep an eye on the trends of each season but I wouldn't label myself exclusively as a trend follower. Since I am a fashion merchandising major it is important that I know what is popular and trending but that does not always means that I will like the trends or incorporate them into my wardrobe. I wear things that fit my own style and I won't wear something I don't like just because it is "on trend". What I think is great about fashion is that everyone has their own unique style and fashion is a great way to express your personality. Even if you are wearing something that is trendy you can still put your own spin on it!

Below are what I consider to be the biggest trends of summer 2017 and the fashion essentials of the season! 



Summer 2017 Fashion Essentials


First I thought that I would start off by talking about some of the summer's key colors and prints and then move on to specific items and silhouettes!

Blue & White

This color combination had a major moment! Blue and white are both such classic colors that pair well with a lot of things and they look so great together too! Vertical stripes of blue and white were one of the main ways I saw this combo on shirts, dresses, and even on pants too. It makes pieces have such a timeless look and white and a lighter blue has such a fun and festive feeling too it while white and a darker blue such as navy is perfect for the office or a moral formal event, it makes you look very put together.

Millenial Pink

This tone of muted pink has been everywhere. It is very versatile and looks great on everyone. Sometimes pink can be very bold, loud, and look juvenile but a shade such as millenial pink does not look juvenile because it is so soft and toned down. It is an easy color to wear and works as wonderfully in a causal outfit as it does for a more dressed up occasion.


Pale Yellow

This sunny color has gotten more attention recently too. Yellow was my all time favorite color when I was younger but I prefer pastel yellow over highlighter yellow and so I was very glad that pale yellow was the shade whose popularity increased. As with millenial pink it is a soft tone and tranquil which makes it easier to add to your wardrobe and style.
Image result for pantone daisy
Gingham 

Gingham was all over everything this summer. I found that a bit surprising at first because to me it is more of a retro motif and reminds me of fashion in the 1950s and 60s. I personally like the fashion of those decades and think that it's great that we can see the inspiration from them in fashion today. It is a very classic print which definitely has a summer vibe to it, when I think of gingham I think of the 50s, 60s, Jackie Kennedy, picnics/BBQs and just summer celebrations in general I guess.

Palm Print

Palm print has really gained popularity and it is perfect for summer time as palm trees and plants thrive during this season. There's just something about plants and plant motifs that is so refreshing and energizing. The palm  print is so cute and fun too! Also Pantone's color of the year for 2017 is Greenery which is very, very, fitting and shows how accurate they are with forecasting.
https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2017
Image result for palm print 
Image via Pinterest

Off the Shoulder

Off the shoulder was definitely one of the most popular styles of clothing I saw this summer. Flowy tops and dresses were very in and since they are  so comfortable it made the off the shoulder look even better! Having your shoulders exposed can help keep you a bit cooler during the summer months and it looks cute too which is probably why so many people wore off the shoulder items and is why it became a trend. Also, it is such a different silhouette than what has been in style and so a change is always exciting!

Fun Sandals

Wearing sandals that are not only comfortable but those that are very fun as well was a huge trend this summer. Sandals with various types of tying or various lace up styles were the most common footwear this summer. Sandals that had fun tassels or laced up were still very popular and so were back less sandals. We also saw that carry into other shoes such as mules.
  
Block Heels

Block heels was another style that was everywhere this summer. It was a simple and cute summer style that could be worn in a casual or more dressed up manner. Since it was so versatile and the fact that they're more comfortable than other types of heels makes the style such a winner.

Fun Accessories 

Tassels were a big detail this summer, as I mentioned they were used on sandals and tassel earrings were also trending and very prevalent. Pom poms were another decorative element I saw a lot on sandals this summer too. Another fun accessory was wide brimmed hats that had cute puns or sayings on them. Such as "Follow the Sun"


I hope that you enjoyed reading this summer trends recap! Did you have a favorite trend from this summer? Feel free to let me know in the comments!


Shop Below




Thanks for reading!

Other Places You Can Find Me:

No comments:

Post a Comment