Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Five Simple Things You Can Do To Be Healthier

        Hello! Today I thought I would share some tips with you about being healthier. I am not including obvious ones like exercise, these are more like small changes you can make in your life to be healthier overall. I firmly believe that healthier = happier!


TIP #1.

Lilly Pulitzer
Tumbler
        Drink water! Water is one of the best things you can consume. As humans, our bodies are made up of a large amount of water and therefore we need a lot of it. Most people, including myself though do not always drink enough. There are so many benefits of drinking more water including helping with weight loss and clearing skin.
       One way you can encourage yourself to drink more water is to get a cute water bottle or tumbler. That way you can carry it around with you and when you see it you'll be reminded to take a drink. I always have a water bottle with me, I even take it wherever I am  in my house. I have mine next to me even now as I am typing this post! If I don't have it with me I definitely wouldn't be drinking as much. One of my problems is that I never realize I am thirsty until I start drinking something. When my water bottle is right there though it's easy to remember to have some. (You could also set a reminder on your phone telling you to drink water every so often if you really wanted to.)
     

 

 

TIP #2.

Camelbak Water Bottle
       Playing off of tip #1, try to drink less soda. Replace it with water. But maybe you're saying "Emily, plain water, ugh". If regular water isn't you thing that's ok. Nothing can trump regular water but there are many options better than soda. For instance, flavored water or sparkling water. Lemonade is another. Or you could have fruit juice instead. Keep in mind though that you want something that doesn't have too much sugar because we still want it to be better for you than soda is.
       

 

TIP #3.

       Take the stairs. Most places, such as office buildings, malls, train stations, etc. have stair cases right next to escalators (and if not next to usually they are very close by). Taking the stairs instead of using an escalator or the elevator is such an easy way to get more exercise and it's not hard to do since there are plenty of opportunities. Even if it's only one or two flights of stairs the calories you burn from them will add up. It will also help you get in better shape in general and will definitely help you be healthier. I always take the stairs whenever I have the chance.

 

TIP #4.

      Try to have at least one serving of a fruit or vegetable with every "meal". I always like to have some fruit with my breakfast and either  a fruit or vegetable with my lunch. Sometimes I have an afternoon snack and I do like to incorporate a fruit. At dinner I always have some sort of vegetable and a side salad so that makes up a variety of veggies at that meal.  And finally I usually like having some fruit a little while after dinner. Apples are my favorite for this  and I love slicing them and putting a bit of peanut butter on, it makes them seem more decadent and like a dessert.
      I am not saying that I always follow this "plan" but I try to as often as possible. I am also not saying that I never eat junk food, I do and I have a huge sweet tooth, and that's ok. Everything  is fine in moderation and if you watch your portion size.
I love eating blueberries, especially in the summertime right after I take them out of the fridge, they're so refreshing!

 

TIP #5.

       If you are trying to eat less junk food, less of a certain thing, or trying to change you diet....... don't buy what you want to avoid! It is much easier to not be tempted and to not eat something if it is not easily accessible. What I mean by this is that if it is not in your house I don't know how many people would actually go to the store to get one thing they are craving. If you are in a similar situation as me though you will know that can be hard when your parents or other people you live with buy what you are trying to avoid. I just have to work on my will power and pretend that those foods do not exist and are not right there in the pantry tempting and torturing me with their deliciousness!

I hope you found these tips helpful on your journey to a healthier you, as they have been helping me. Thanks for reading, have a great day/afternoon/night!
-Emily




Other Places You Can Find Me:

No comments:

Post a Comment