Thursday, August 13, 2015

Healthy Snacks

       Welcome back to my blog! If you're like me then you love food, but you also want to take care of your body. This can be challenging sometimes though so I've put together a list with some ideas for snacks that are on the healthier side of the spectrum. They taste great and are great for you!

Fruit

     Fruit is obviously good for you and there is a huge variety. Many fruits are very sweet since they contain natural sugar and so they can help to satisfy your sweet tooth and cut your cravings for unhealthy things. Berries are great for snacking, my personal favorites are blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. Strawberries are good too. Melons are great especially in the summer as well. Some popular kinds are watermelon (of course), honey dew melon, and cantaloupe. There are tons of other fruits including; bananas, mangos, pineapples, oranges, peaches, plums, apples (amazing with some peanut butter), pears, you get the idea!
I suggest checking out your local farmers market or just exploring the produce section in your grocery store to be adventurous and try some new fruit.
We can't forget about cherries!

 

Vegetables

I know not many people think of them as snack but slices of celery or cucumber do just fine. I love eating raw baby carrots. Any of these are great plain or dipped in something like ranch dressing.

Nuts

My favorite are peanuts, I also love almonds. Cashews, walnuts, and pecans are other well known varieties.

Dried Fruit

So many fruits come dried but raisins are obviously the most well known, many people don't like them though. I was the opposite for a while, I loved raisins but hated grapes (I know, I was weird). Even if you don't like raisins I think you should still try Craisins, dried cranberries. I actually prefer them to plain old raisins.

Trail Mix

A great way to have dried fruit is in trail mix, you can make your own or just buy it. Many come with seeds and granola or oats and definitely nuts, most likely peanuts and/or almonds and some have chocolate chips of m&ms. The varieties are endless, some are very, very healthy, and others not so much. Nonetheless, they are all still pretty good for you!

Miscellaneous

As for crackers, crackers like Ritz aren't the best for you but they aren't too bad either, especially if you get the whole grain ones. Wheat Thins are a great option, they are my favorite crackers. And I love Stacy's Pita Crisps, the sea salt ones are so good, they are pretty healthy and taste great. Newtons are another great snack. There are actually different types of Newtons including Triple Berry (my favorite) and Apple Cinnamon. If you don't like Fig Newtons I recommend checking out the other "flavors". They are super yummy and are healthy too.


Yogurt/Smoothies/Smoothie bowls

These "treats" allow you to be so creative! Yogurt is an amazing snack. You can add so many things to it. What I do most often is add some granola to my yogurt. For a while I would only eat regular vanilla Yoplait because it is my all time favorite yogurt! Now I do eat other flavors though! Fruit smoothies using natural ingredients are great and like I said smoothies give you a lot of freedom so just throw you favorite fruits together and make up some combos or go on Google or Pinterest to find great recipes. (Another fun thing about the bowls is decorating them!)

Thanks for reading, I hope you found these suggestions helpful!
Do you have any favorite healthy(-ish) snacks to recommend?

-Emily


Other Places You Can Find Me:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment